Striving for excellence through life's lessons. Learnings from podcasts, interviews, book reviews and introspection on how to push beyond a Mere Mortal.
Check us out if you are interested in: goal planning, meditation, fitness, philosophy, flexibility, calisthenics, cold showers, breathing techniques, reading a stupid amount of books, gaining muscle and transcending mere mortality.
- Becoming An Eminently Qualified Human Being (Mere Mortals Episode #91 - Long-Term Goals)September 25th, 2020What are long-term goals and why are they important? In this themed episode Juan and Kyrin discuss the topic of 'Long-Term Goals'. First of all we want to apologise for the inferior audio quality in this episode. We had some technical glitches that unfortunately were not able to be fixed to our normal standard, but felt that the listener would still receive sufficient benefit from the conversation. Rest assured, one of our long-term goals is to continually improve the Mere Mortals podcast, in terms of technical capability and conversational value. Nevertheless, we are only Mere Mortals in the end and mistakes will be made.With that said, the Mere Mortals start off the convo as usual with a definition and talking about the process of creating long-term goals. This leads into a conversation on the shared values that most humans have as well as what to do once you have your goals set. Both Kyrin and Juan then share their personal long-term goals before rounding of the chat with some additional helpful tips. This was an episode we had been excited about for a while and so hope you get some value despite the decreased audio quality. As always, we hope you enjoy, Mere Mortals out!Timeline:0:00 - Introduction & Mere Mortals Moments3:34 - Definition and previous goal setting conversations6:17 - Where does a long-term goal come from?14:28 - The drafting process20:49 - Formulating the list27:48 - We all care about similar life aspects31:38 - Weighting and priorities35:54 - Connecting long-term goals to medium-term goals40:59 - Kyrin's 8 x long term goals48:12 - Juan's level 5 eminent human being goals54:20 - Methods and pitfalls of goal setting59:11 - Setting impossible goals1:07:59 - Summation of the process1:13:25 - Learn more about goal setting
- The Turn Of The Screw & The Aspern Papers (Henry James) - Book ReviewSeptember 24th, 2020Were the ghosts real or was the Governess crazy? 'The Turn Of The Screw' & 'The Aspern Papers' are two novellas written by the uber-prolific Henry James (seriously, the dude wrote a lot). Both stories deal with a central character losing themselves in their situation, whether it be an uncertain horror transported into everyday reality or a man single-mindedly pursuing what he wants. Kyrin had this to say of the two tales. "I really don't like horror and thrills so these probably weren't the best of books for me to read. Of the two I preferred 'The Aspern Papers', however both are written in an manner that incites intrigue and suspense. Unfortunately I didn't find that the tales ignited any new ideas or viewpoints and my actual enjoyment level while reading was minimal."Timeline:0:00 - Introduction & synopsis3:11 - Hysteria & madness6:17 - What is ethical in the pursuit of value & truth?7:52 - Kyrin is a scaredy-cat9:24 - Creating a memorable character10:42 - Overall summary and rating11:28 - Pragmatic takeawayAs always, we hope you enjoy, Mere Mortals out!About Mere Mortals:Striving for excellence through life's lessons. Daily uploads @ 5pm AEST. 4M's, Book Reviews, Musings, Bonus, Themed Podcast, Interviews & Meanderings.Connect with Mere Mortals:Website: https://www.meremortalsmedia.com/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mere_mortals_media/Facebook: https://facebook.com/Meremortalsmedia
- The Most Useless Meeting Ever (Mere Mortals Episode #90 - Musings)September 23rd, 2020Have you ever been stuck in an IQ-killing, mind numbingly boring, uselessly impotent work meeting? In this episode of 'Musings' Juan and Kyrin discuss: the reasoning process between going for short term gains while taking long term damage, sleep and how much is necessary for the Mere Mortals, verbal fillers of like and ummm, a collection of differences between Juan/Kyrin and why they work well together and terrible communication patterns resulting in absolutely useless work meetings. That's it for today, hope you enjoy. Mere Mortals out!Timeline:0:00 - Introduction & Episode #100 surprise2:43 - Short term gain vs long term damage6:04 - 4 hrs sleep per day9:15 - Kyrin's experimentation with sleep cycles16:08 - Liiiiiiikkkkkkkkkeeeeeee24:42 - What life expects from us26:53 - Spontaneous vs Known challenges30:42 - The magic element33:16 - Would you be your own friend?37:20 - Terrible communication and useless meetings43:59 - Juan's life maxims48:03 - Recommended MM episodes and outro
- Life On The Mississippi (Mark Twain) - Book ReviewSeptember 22nd, 2020The most enjoyable book that Kyrin has read all year! 'Life On The Mississippi' is a non-conventional book, alternating between memoirs, story telling, historical facts, reminisces of the past and cultural observations. Mark Twain gets the chance to recount his old adventures as a steamboat pilot on the Mississippi river in his youth and explore some of the changes that he has seen from before and after the American Civil War and the effects of the Industrial Revolution.Kyrin had this to say about the book. "I came into this book expecting it to be a descriptive but maybe somewhat boring recount of the American past. However, I had so many moments of deep belly laughs and became fascinated with the vivid picture that Mark Twain painted of this era. Not only that but he touches upon some of the questions we still ask ourselves today about technology, losing certain human abilities and adapting to the present moment. A great book if you are looking for an entertaining read and a transportation into the past."Timeline:0:00 - Introduction1:42 - Life in different eras and vestiges of the past4:05 - Not preparing for life's changes6:42 - Technology and losing human abilities11:28 - The fascinating intricacies from passionate people13:10 - A wild time in history14:10 - Mark Twain is hilarious15:55 - An amazing book doesn't need to be conventional17:42 - Pragmatic takeawayAs always, we hope you enjoy, Mere Mortals out!About Mere Mortals:Striving for excellence through life's lessons. Daily uploads @ 5pm AEST. 4M's, Book Reviews, Musings, Bonus, Meanderings, Interviews & Themed Podcast.Connect with Mere Mortals:Website: https://www.meremortalsmedia.com/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mere_mortals_media/Facebook: https://facebook.com/Meremortalsmedia
- Self-Distortion - 4M's #37September 21st, 2020Building on our discussion of Gullibility not too long ago, Juan take's on the topic of self-distortion.As always, we hope you enjoy, Mere Mortals out!About Mere Mortals:Striving for excellence through life's lessons. Daily uploads @ 5pm AEST. 4M's, Book Reviews, Musings, Bonus, Meanderings, Interviews & Themed Podcast.Connect with Mere Mortals:Website: https://www.meremortalsmedia.com/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mere_mortals_mediaFacebook: https://facebook.com/Meremortalsmedia
Showing 1–5 out of 165